Pages

Sunday 18 January 2015

My winter skincare routine

A big welcome and hello to 2015 beauties!

Hope you all had a fabulous holiday celebrating (or simply feasting) with family and loved ones.

I have something a little different today, seeing as I've not yet posted about how I look after my reactive, blemish-prone skin I thought it was time to share some tips and tricks! In the winter skin is much more dehydrated - especially from the cold dry wind and central heating, so it needs some extra care. I've also discovered coconut oil recently (yes, the one you eat) so keep reading to find out how I use it on my face!



Pure Coconut Oil from Holland and Barrett, Aloe Cleanser from the Body Shop, Clarifying Toner from Eucerin and Galactomyces Eye Cream by PureBess which I decant into a mini Bobbi Brown empties tub.
Cleanse
In the mornings I simply use my Body Shop Aloe Calming Cleanser, which is a very gentle cream cleanser without any foaming detergents. When I have worn make-up, I have been using the Perfectly Pure Coconut Oil the same way as an oil/balm cleanser, it is extremely good at melting off everything, even waterproof mascara. The high concentration of fatty acids, minerals and vitamins make it both an antibacterial and antioxidant. Coconut oil is also known to stimulate hair follicles, let's see if rubbing it around my eyes will promote any lash growth! Best of all, it comes off easily when washed with the Aloe cleanser - and this combination never leaves my skin feeling tight or stripped.

Tone
To make sure all traces of make-up and cleanser/oil are cleared, I always follow up with a toner. This Eucerin DermatoCLEAN Toner is fairly basic with very few ingredients which makes it great for sensitive skin, but contains sodium hyaluronate (the key component of the infamous Hydraluron serum) which boosts water-retention in the skin. I feel this light, cleansing but nourishing toner is going to become a staple in my beauty regime.

Moisturise
I've been relying on my Purebess eye cream day and night for the last month, I have found it amazing at diminishing any fine lines and unevenness around my eyes. Its main ingredient is galactomyces ferment filtrate, which is found in much more expensive brands (ahem, SK-II Facial Essence...) which contains much-appreciated amino acids and proteins. I much prefer a thick cream in winter over a gel, and this one is very quickly absorbed once applied and leaves no scent. I got mine in a Memebox but can be bought from Korean beauty shops and Ebay.

Finally it's time to put on face cream! I use my DRAN Wonder Snail Treatment Cream as a serum, as it has the consistency of a gel-cream and is very smoothing. It's my first experience with 'snail secrete' products, and I have to say I'm impressed with the results - but won't say any more as it has sold out on the Memebox website and don't know another reliable stockist :( (However, a much more widely-available version is on my  list, so watch out for a future review!) I then apply my trusty Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion both day and night to provide and lock in extra hydration. The macadamia oil makes it great for dry and sensitive skin.

--------------------------------------

I hope this little skincare breakdown has helped some of you who are thinking of trying new products, or are interested in caring for sensitive and troubled winter skin! Please leave me any comments, suggestions or questions down below as I love learning from other beauty enthusiasts!


Lots of love as always,

No comments:

Post a Comment